A STATEMENT OF COMMITMENT
The recent shooting and death of Keith Lamont Scott and the subsequent protests have struck a chord deep within our community. They have surfaced questions of who we are, what we think, how we feel, and what we value. To those questions, we would simply say that we are a community which understands that:
- The anger and pain are real;
- The issues connected to the reality of racism are not new;
- The work requires change in systems and structures;
- Our work will be ongoing and long term and must include additional voices, leadership and perspectives;
- The changes required will not be easy or comfortable;
- We must have the courage to listen, to respond and to act now.
We commit ourselves to the continuous work of building and being a community of justice, equity, fairness, and opportunity for all.
As individuals, companies, organizations and congregations that care about Charlotte, we add our signature as our commitment to the long term solution of these questions and challenges and invite others to join us in this evolving and ongoing effort.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Opportunity Task Force is working to build economic mobility and access to opportunity in our community. Learn more here.
YOU can help! What does opportunity mean to you? What helps you make the most of your potential? What holds you back?
Take the Opportunity Survey to share your thoughts and help build opportunity with the Opportunity Task Force.